Thursday, May 6, 2010

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

The above quote is from Edmund Burke, but is paraphrased from this longer statement that I found today. Stirring stuff:

"It is not enough in a situation of trust in the commonwealth, that a man means well to his country; it is not enough that in his single person he never did an evil act, but always voted according to his conscience, and even harangued against every design which he apprehended to be prejudicial to the interests of his country. This innoxious and ineffectual character, that seems formed upon a plan of apology and disculpation, falls miserably short of the mark of public duty. That duty demands and requires that what is right should not only be made known, but made prevalent; that what is evil should not only be detected, but defeated. When the public man omits to put himself in a situation of doing his duty with effect it is an omission that frustrates the purposes of his trust almost as much as if he had formally betrayed it. It is surely no very rational account of a man's life, that he has always acted right but has taken special care to act in such a manner that his endeavours could not possibly be productive of any consequence."

Duty demands and requires that what is right should not only be made known, but made prevalent, that what is evil should not only be detected, but defeated.

Go, Edmund!

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou! I just came across your blog and LOVE it! ; ) I appreciate all the work you have put into it (especially all the books you have suggested...) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, it is very kind of you to leave such positive comments (and you've reminded me, I have more books to add!)
    Nothing pleases me more than to know this little blog might be adding some value to someone else besides myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a 29 year old sexual child abuse survivor. My abuser was a removed family member. I am looking to make connections with other surviors and specifically other survivors who are writing. I just recently published a Christian Childrens book that aims to give hope back to children whom have had theirs stolen. I have a site with my backstory and info on what I have written. Please check it out and leave me a comment.http://auntloubooks.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete