Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Books Books Books

FINALLY THE PSYCHIATRIC WORLD IS CATCHING ON that trauma is not just a neck-up problem. The latest book I have been studying is Trauma and the Body, A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy. Latest advances in treatment include examining and working with the physical side of trauma and PTSD with it's ongoing effects.
Yay! (Understatement).
I'm half-way through the book, as it has been a highly detailed slog, but also incredibly enlightening and helpful. I have been educated in-depth about the theories of Information Processing, The Window of Tolerance, Attachment, The Orienting Response, Defensive Subsystems, Action Systems, and Trauma and the Brain.
It all makes so much sense! A thorough explanation of why the patient cannot simply 'get over it' but must work through and repair the damage that was done during childhood development, and re-train defense systems to respond to current issues rather than terrifying past reality.
The next half of the book is devoted to the specifics of Treatment - by the end I should be able to hang a diploma on the wall!
One of the writers of this book recently visited Brisbane and ran workshops that a number of my health care workers attended - they had glowing things to say, but to toot my own horn I have to tell you that I bought the book several months ago before any of them had ever heard about it! (Okay, I didn't start actually reading it till a few weeks ago, but I do know what I like, and I like therapy that is holistic and inclusive of all the body's systems).

No comments:

Post a Comment